Follow by email:

Friday 27 May 2011

Possession of tea with intent to supply


(Preparing fresh fish for dinner. Note the cat sneaking up in the background)

(The fish is not relevant to the story)

Ras Abu Galum, Egypt. September 2009


As a traveller in Egypt, you get accustomed to the idea that everyone you meet is trying to rip you off. Which is why I appreciated this man's refreshingly transparent approach to business. When we first arrived at this place a friend and I were trying to agree a price with him to stay in one of the huts in the background. The haggling went as follows:


Him: "One night 50 (Egyptian Pounds). Food and drinks are seperate."
Us: ''Can't you do it any cheaper"
"Hmm. No. But do you like to smoke? Maybe I can throw in some free hashish"
"No thanks not tonight. How about tea. Can you give us the tea free instead?"
"No. The tea is where I make my money"



No comments:

Post a Comment